CWLS provides the latest surgical treatments for safe and effective weight loss.
What is Laparoscopic Gastric Band?
PLEASE NOTE: WE NO LONGER OFFER THE GASTRIC BAND AND THIS IS FOR INFORMATION ONLY
The gastric band converts the stomach from a 2 litre sac to a 30cc pouch by means of a silicone collar placed around the top part of the stomach. Adjusting the diameter of the collar by means of a subcutaneous saline-filled port controls the restriction of flow of food through the pouch to the remaining stomach. Once the band is adjusted to optimal diameter then hunger and satiety are controlled so maximising weight loss. An average of 50-60% excess body weight loss can be expected.
- The least traumatic of all obesity surgeries as the stomach is left intact. Furthermore it is reversible with simple removal of the band.
- Recovery time is faster with most patients returning to work in a day or two.
- Weight loss is protracted with at least 2 years required to get to towards goal weight
- Band optimisation requires frequent clinic visits in the first year, during which time weight loss may be minimal, and requires life-long maintenance
- High ongoing revision rate 10-20%
- Smaller less reliable weight loss
- Bands can slip and subcutaneous ports can flip requiring reoperation
© Copyright 2018 Christchurch Weight Loss Surgery | Website by Plato Creative