What is Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy?
The sleeve gastrectomy, also known as tube gastrectomy converts the stomach from a 2 litre sac to a 100cc tube. The remains of the stomach are removed and discarded. It is believed that many of the receptors and hormones that control appetite are in the discarded portion of the stomach so that hunger and satiety control is instantaneous.
- Rapid weight loss as hunger and satiety control is instantaneous. Most people approach goal weight by 9 months with maximal weight loss at 18 months.
- The integrity of the gastrointestinal tract is maintained so that many of the complications seen with the gastric bypass are avoided
- Recovery time is rapid with most patients returning to work in a week or two.
- The staple line that secures the divided stomach occasionally leaks requiring re-hospitalisation and re-intervention
- Long-term data beyond 5 years is lacking so its permanency is uncertain.
© Copyright 2018 Christchurch Weight Loss Surgery | Website by Plato Creative